TIPS FOR STRESS MANAGEMENTPosted by NWEKE ADA
Stress is a natural physical and mental reaction to life experiences and everyone experiences it at one point or the other. Although, experts stated that one can have “positive” stress which keeps one at alert, motivated and also helps get job done faster, but stress becomes a problem when stressors continue without relief or periods of relaxation.
Let’s look at some of the symptoms of stress;
- Aches and pains.
- Chest pain or a feeling like your heart is racing.
- Exhaustion or trouble sleeping.
- Anxiety or irritability.
- Panic attacks.
- Headaches, dizziness or shaking.
- High blood pressure.
- Muscle tension or jaw clenching
So, you ask yourself- How can I manage stress when I have so much to do, so many books to read or how do I handle stress when it goes overboard?
Well, we should take note that it is not something you can avoid but you can stop it from becoming overwhelming by doing the following ;
• Try Exercising- This could be a walk, stretching yourself out, jumping.
• Think positively- As much as possible, avoid renemunating on tasks not completed.
• Share with someone- Talk about it with a friend, colleague, therapist.
• Set goals- Had a to-do list that contains daily, weekly, monthly goals.
• Eat right and healthy, get good sleep and rest when tired.
• Learn to say ‘No’ when you are overburdened with work.
• Surround yourself with friends and families. Especially those that make you happy.
It is quite normal to feel stressed as stated above. But, stress can cause some symptoms and unhealthy behaviors. It is therefore necessary that one takes precautions by adhering to the strategies above. Failures for these to reduce stress may require skilled help from medical personnel.